The Studio Space project taught me a lot about creating a responsive website with different versions for different screen sizes. I conducted a lot of market research to determine which features competitors are using and implemented them into my designs.
UX designer designing the Studio Space website from conception to delivery. Conducting research, interviews, paper and digital wireframing, low and high-fidelity prototyping, conducting usability studies, accounting for accessibility, and iterating on designs
Artists have a difficult time finding studios in their communities and studio owners have a difficult time renting out their spaces.
Studio Space connects artists looking for studios with renters who have vacancies. The website helps artists identify their needs and find studios that fit their criteria.
One primary user group identified through my research was artists who have specific studio needs who are also on a budget. Users also wanted specific studio features based on their work, and flexibility around pricing and lease lengths
Starting the design
Before creating any wireframes or prototypes I created a sitemap. The sitemap provided an early outline for the Studio Space website, following a hierarchical model.
Wireframes and low fidelity prototypes
The low-fidelity prototype captured the main user flow, from the home screen all the way to reserving a studio space. To create a responsive site, I also wireframed the mobile version of the Studio Space website.
The high-fidelity prototype presented a more seamless user-flow and incorporated user needs and guiding users through the main user-flow. I turned the mockups into a high-fidelity prototype that goes through the process of selecting and reserving a studio space. High-fidelity prototype
What I learned
I learned about responsive web design and how to optimize the designs for different screen sizes.
Challenges and solutions
The Studio Space website makes it easier for working artists to reserve a studio space that meets their unique and changing needs. The usability study showed me some of the limitations of my design - I implemented that feedback and made different processes related to reserving a studio much more user-friendly for both the desktop and mobile versions of the website.